Sohni's Guide to Jewellery Care
- Always protect your jewellery from sharp blows, scratching, chemicals, sunlight and heat/cold. Ideally, keep gemstone and beaded jewellery flat and store in a soft lined box or pouch.
- Avoid using velvet boxes for storing jewellery.
- Try to keep pieces apart, so that they don't rub together or tangle up.
- Don't let your jewellery come into contact with nail polish removers, perfume, deodorant and hairspray.
- Wipe Jewellery with a soft cotton cloth.
- Store individual pieces separately to avoid scratching. Protect by wrapping in soft fabric and storing in a cool, dry place.
- Jewellery should be put on last and taken off first while dressing.
- Do not use abrasive jewellery cleaners.
- Jewellery must be properly cared against dust and pollution. Daily wear can cloud the brilliance of a gemstone and dull the surface of silver and gold plating
- Take care to protect your jewellery from impact against hard surfaces and avoid contact with abrasive surfaces. Many stones such as amethyst, emerald, pearl, peridot and tourmaline are all very delicate and easily abraded.
Good caring is essential to maintain good condition of the costume jewellery for many enjoyable years.